Thanksgiving Inspiration: Recipe #2
I know most families usually have pumpkin, apple, or pecan pies for dessert after Thanksgiving dinner. My family had the privilege of partaking in my mom’s cranberry pudding, complete with sweet butter sauce. (Don’t skip the butter sauce!) I can easily say, we didn’t miss the pies. Another plus to this dessert – other than the fact that it’s delicious, if you double the recipe, you can bake the cake part of it in a 9″ x 13″ cake pan. This makes enough to feed 8 – 10 people comfortably (probably with leftovers). The cranberry pudding can also be made a day or two ahead of time; you should keep both the sauce and cake in the fridge until the day of the meal (-both separate from one another and covered). I hope you enjoy!Mom's Cranberry Pudding2013-11-13 19:06:39Cake
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup (whole, not dried) cranberries from the produce section
- 1 1/2 TBSP butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter (I like salted.)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl, adding the melted butter last. Grease an 8" x 8" baking dish with butter, cooking spray, or the like. (Don't use olive oil for this recipe!) Pour the batter into the baking dish, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula so you get every last bit of batter goodness. Bake for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat those ingredients on your stove-top over medium-high heat. Stir the sauce frequently. Once the sauce starts to boil, turn the heat level down to medium or medium-low, allowing it to simmer for 1 min. This ensures the sugar is dissolved in the sauce. Serve the sauce warm over the cranberry cake.
- *If you choose to refrigerate the sauce ahead of time, you'll want to warm it up again before serving.
- *Did you know cranberries freeze extremely well AND there is no need to defrost them before adding them to the above cake recipe.