Banana, Pecan, and Coconut Cream Crepe Filling (or Pudding)
Yes, you read that right. The “cream” is pudding like in consistency so, of course, feel free to eat it sans crepe. Peter and I each ate 3 cream filled crepes and we were very well satiated to say the least. There was enough cream leftover for another serving.Grocery Girl Banana, Pecan, and Coconut Cream Crepe Filling2013-07-18 15:58:06Serve this delicious pudding style cream as dessert or for breakfast within crepes.Prep Time15 minCook Time20 minTotal Time35 minPrep Time15 minCook Time20 minTotal Time35 minIngredients
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut or flakes (sweetened if you can't find unsweetened)
- 3 TBSP. all purpose (AP) flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. corn starch
- dash salt
- 2 cups milk (Yes, skim will work.)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 TBSP. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 bananas, diced just before serving.
- Separate the yolks of the eggs from the whites if you haven't already. Store the whites in the fridge; reserve the yolks in a small bowl.
- Toast the coconut and and pecans in a small frying pan over low heat stirring frequently for 5 to 10 mins. or until the coconut begins to brown. (You can "chop" pecan halves by placing them in a freezer bag and rolling over them with a can of soup.) Remove the pan from the heat to allow the coconut and pecans to cool.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium sized sauce pan. Add the milk gradually to the sauce pan, stirring the contents together with the milk as you add it.
- Cook the mixture in the sauce pan over low heat until it thickens. Do not rush this step. I cooked the cream until it just started to bubble. Stir the mixture frequently as it cooks.
- Stir a TBSP. of the mixture from the sauce pan into the egg yolks. (This is called tempering and it's an important step.)
- Add the tempered egg yolks to the sauce pan mixture and continue to cook the mixture for one minute. Remove the mixture from the heat. Add the coconut extract and butter to the mixture. Stir the mixture briefly and allow it to cool.
- Just before serving the cream/pudding, fold the bananas, pecans, and coconut into it.
- *Reserve a little toasted coconut and pecans to sprinkle on top of the cream/pudding.